Can't find it at our library?
Please try our online catalog first and if you can't locate it there, try the statewide catalog (MelCat.)
Interlibrary loan, or " ILL", is a service we offer residents library card holders. We will locate and borrow books, which we do not own, and will acquire photocopies of journal articles within copyright restrictions.
The fee to interlibrary-loan a book is $0.25 and is paid when the patron picks up the material requested. Any other fees, fines, charges for interloaned materials are established by the lending library. We always try to obtain materials from libraries that do not charge extra fees but sometimes that is not possible. Items requested through MeLCat are $0.25.
Do you need a Book or Material that our library does not have?
You are now able to request your own Interlibrary Loans from the MelCat Statewide Database .
Marlette District Library is pleased to announce that our library is one of the newest additions to MeLCat, the Michigan Electronic Library Catalog. MeLCat is Michigan's new statewide online union catalog and resource sharing system. It contains the combined holdings of all participating Michigan libraries and is expected to eventually include approximately 12 million unique titles representing 48 million items. Other Michigan libraries will be added to MeLCat on an ongoing basis for the next several years.
Library patrons will enjoy the following benefits through MeLCat:
- Ability to request library materials from any place at any time
- Monitor the status of your own information requests
- Search over the Internet to quickly identify materials owned by all types of libraries statewide.
- Access to valuable local history materials and digitized items
Marlette District Library has always offered interlibrary loan service to our patrons, but MelCat opens the door for browsing the collections of other libraries in Michigan yourself. If an item is not available at our library, or through the online catalog Hold process, a patron may simply search MeLCat on a public access computer in the library or from home. Initiate your own interlibrary loan requests by using MelCat or you may continue to receive assistance from a librarian. In order to make requests and borrow materials, a person must be a registered library card holder in good standing at the Marlette District Library. Materials that are in our library may not be requested from another library.
Here is how it works:
- Access the MelCat Statewide Database .
- Select the search criteria: keyword, author, title or series title.
Type in the information.
- Click the Find It button
- The next page shows a list of materials matching your request. Click on the title for more info about the material. You may also click on the name of the owning library to visit their library's website.
- If you want to request a title, click on the checkbox to select the material. Click on Get This For Me!
- The Requesting Page asks which library card/account do you want to use? Click on the pull-down menu button. Scroll through the list of libraries and highlight Marlette District Library.
- Click the Submit Button.
- If you have registered your e-mail address with us, an automatic confirmation notice will be sent to you.
Remote Access to MeL
How to renew a MelCat ILL item
Melcat participants allow one renewal per item. You cannot renew an item until 7 days before the due date. Login to MyMel in Melcat, locate the item to renew and select renew. To renew an ILL item, call the library at least five business days before the item is due. A one time renewal of interlibrary loan materials are granted at the discretion of the lending library.
If you cannot find the item in MelCat, we will try to fill the item through a National Interlibrary Loan Service (OCLC) provided by the White Pine Library Cooperative. Please see the librarian to make this request.